Children’s Book Week is coming! From May 4-10, libraries, educators, and booksellers all over the world will be planning programs and initiatives to get kids reading and encouraging a lifelong love of books. But did you know that this year, we’re kicking off Children’s Book Week with Free Comic Book Day?
Free Comic Book Day is an annual celebration of comics. Libraries and comic book stores all over the US, Canada, and worldwide work in conjunction with comic book publishers to get free comics into the hands of ALL readers. It’s taking place on May 2nd this year (it’s always on the first Saturday in May), so check your local library or comic book store to see what they have in store.
Don’t just take it from me. Robin Lord Taylor, better known these days as Penguin on one of my favorite shows, Gotham, wants you to have free comics, too.
Fast Facts about FCBD:
- On May 2nd, over 2,300 participating comic shop across the US, Canada and worldwide will be giving away free comic books
- There are 50 designated FCBD titles available to choose from
- Over 5.6 million comic books will be given away for free making this year’s event the biggest yet!
- During FCBD, comic shops host special events such as costume contests, guest signings with comic book writers and artists, raffles, giveaways, store-wide sales, games and more for the whole community to enjoy
- To find a participating comic shop, enter your zip code into the store locator at freecomicbookday.com